2 Whole Chicken
8 Slices Gruyère
8 Slices Ham
1 ½ c Panko Bread Crumbs
4 Eggs, whisked
1 ½ c All Purpose Flour
1 Packet Provençale Spice Mix
(approximately 1 oz)
BLACKCURRANT MUSTARD SAUCE
1 tbsp Koroneiki Extra Virgin Oil
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 c Heavy Cream
3 tbsp Blackcurrant Dijon Mustard
1 tsp Sugar
1 c Vegetable Oil
Medium Sauté Pan
Small Sauce Pot
Skewers or Toothpicks
DEBONING WHOLE CHICKEN
1. Place the chicken on the cutting board with its back down and legs towards you.
2. Cut through the skin of the natural crease between the thigh and body. Do not cut the skin that holds the thigh and breast together. Pop the joint and cut through that joint with a knife.
3. Next are the wings. Find the joint between the wings and breast. Cut through with a knife making sure that it is the joint and not the bone.
4. Finally the breast. Starting from head to tail, run the knife right down one side of the breast bone. Do the same to the other side.
5. Starting from front to back, run your knife between the breast meat and carcass without sawing the meat, until the breast is fully removed from the body. Do the same to the other.
1. Lay the chicken skin side down and butterfly the breast.
2. Season the chicken using a ½ packet (approximately ½ oz) of Provençale seasoning.
3. Keep the chicken skin side down, layer on slices of cheese and ham.
4. Starting from the thigh, roll the chicken towards the breast. Make it tight.
5. Secure it with the skewers to prevent the chicken from opening.
6. For the dredge, place the flour, panko, and eggs onto the 3 separate plates.
7. Divide remaining seasoning evenly between flour and bread crumbs, whisk separately with a fork.
8. Arrange plates in order of flour, whisked eggs, and panko in preparation of the three-way breading.
9. Roll the chicken in the flour and dust off any excess flour, then place the chicken into the eggs mixture fully coating. Finally press chicken breast into the bread crumbs, fully coating.
1. Place a medium size sauté pan on a burner and put it on medium heat.
2. Add about a 1 cup of vegetable oil to the pan and bring it to heat.
3. Once the oil is hot, place the chicken in the pan and sear all sides for about 1 minute each.
4. Place the chicken on a baking pan and place it into the oven for 15 minutes at 350 degrees or until an internal temperature of 165 degrees is acheived.
1. Place the sauce pot on the burner and put it on medium heat.
2. Add the Koroneiki virgin olive oil and bring the oil up to heat.
3. Add the garlic and sweat until fragrant. Do not burn.
4. Add the heavy cream. Bring it to a simmer, reduce it by a quarter.
5. Add the blackcurrant dijon mustard.
6. Add sugar to balance the bitterness of the mustard.
7. Reduce the sauce by another quarter, or until preferred consistency.